Monday, February 11, 2008

Thank You For Calling 4Ride

Please hold and an operator will be with you shortly. Do not hang up and call back, or your call will go to the end of the line. If you are holding for a long time, you have another option...

If you go to George Washington, you've heard this guy. Several times. I just listened to him saying the same thing over, and over, waiting to talk to the whore who sends me my delightful free ride. Today, I listened to him for 10 minutes. Ten solid minutes.

Why? Actually, my Why? divides into two parts: The first why is why do I have to listen to this annoying guy more than once? I mean the GW phone system actually has pretty good hold music. It's mostly jazz. I like it. And trust me, I'm not going to forget the fact that I'm on hold with 4Ride. Also, I don't care that there are North and South Shuttles. They have really stupid routes and I don't think I'll ever use it. So stop telling me about it.

Secondly, why do I have to hold for so damn long. Freshman year, and even sophomore year, hold time was at most 3-5 minutes, not 10. I mean I'd say it took me about 25 to 30 seconds to convey where I was going, where I was, my last name, and how many people I was (just one tonight). Are you trying to tell me that there were 20 people ahead of me, waiting for a 4Ride themselves. This wasn't even peak time mind you, it was Sunday night at like 11:00.

So that tells me the 4Ride system is broken. Either it is understaffed, which could very well be true, or the staff is just completely incompetent. If it's understaffed, then either hire another dispatcher, more drivers, or both. I mean with what we're charged, I think the school can afford it. If they're incompetent people (which I wouldn't be surprised about at all), fire them and hire more competant ones. Maybe we could offer them a higher starting salary. I mean I think the school can afford it. After all we're footing the $8 million bill to renovate Alumni House so that President Knapp can move in and then move out a year and a half later because he can't take the noise.

Enough of that. On to happier things like the fact that I had an amazing birthday this weekend and I got a job (tentatively) as a marketing intern at a fairly legit law firm. Actually a really legit law firm. Well, I'll bore you with another subject in another post. Until then, until then.

No comments: