Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stupid Around Town

Big changes here at the blog. Last month (or maybe it was this month), we introduced the awesome* tag. I think it went over pretty well. Today, we roll out our latest and greatest tag: Stupid Around Town. If you need more explaining than that, please don't continue reading. Anything.

You can redefine what it means to be a lawyer. This is an advertisement on the side of a phone booth very close to the fire station on G Street between 21st and 22nd.

You can redefine what it means to be a lawyer. (you just have to get into law school first)

It doesn't translate well into text, but I am really frustrated by this ad. Let's first discuss graphics. The woman is either sleep-walking or Ray Charles, standing in front of a building that is supposed to be a law office, but strikes me as just looking like Funger Hall. What are you telling me by this? That even people who cruise (or sleep) through life can be lawyers too? Or perhaps we're supposed to marvel at how all law books now have braille versions available? Point is, bad graphics, 1. it's not leading me anywhere and 2. it's not saying anything about being a lawyer.

More importantly, I think the advert is just a bold-faced lie. You can't redefine what it means to be a lawyer. Neither can I, nobody can. It's pretty established what a lawyer does. For instance, you can't wake up one day (after having gotten into law school, per the advertisement), and say, "Lawyers will now all manage hotels." Well, of course, you can say that, but that's not the point. The point is that lawyers won't manage hotels, they won't wash cars, they won't even trade stocks or be doctors. Lawyers will do law. You can't redefine that. Even if you're in law school.

So congratulations LSAT prep course, whose name I accidentally cropped out of the picture, for doing something dumb enough for me to devote an entire new section of my blog to stupid things.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

oh dear, the media.