Monday, July 30, 2007

New Scrutiny for Facebook Over Predators (NYT)

There's an article on the New York Times about predators turning to Facebook.

New Scrutiny for Facebook Over Predators
Published: July 30, 2007
Like MySpace before it, Facebook, the online social network, is being subjected to accusations that it does not do enough to keep sexual predators off its site.
Permalink (pops)


Apparently "a concerned parent" opened up an account posing as a 15 year old girl. This pedophile turned concerned citizen listed their relationship status as "Whatever I can get" and joined such groups as:
  • addicted to masterbation...and you know if you are!
  • Facebook Swingers
  • I'm Curious about Incest
Now I don't know from firsthand experience, but I'm going to guess that you are not going to find particularly savory members of society in any of these groups.

Furthermore, the 'concerned parent' accepted friendship with people much older than this 15 year old made up girl. Including a bald man with a goatee from Toronto.

Now I watch To Catch A Predator with Chris Hansen, and I think we all know that bald men with goatees are bad news bears.

I mean lets be serious now, if I buy Porsche convertible, take it to Flatbush, park it with the top down and keys in the ignition, I can't really get mad because someone stole my car.

Yes there are bad people on the internet, but I think Facebook has done a very good job about keeping them away from the disillusioned youth of Facebook.

The only reason the story got picked up by the Times is because Reuters released it first and was hyping it up. So just keep your pants on America, Facebook is still safe. As long as your not an idiot.

No comments: