Friday, August 03, 2007

New Away Message Rules

I sometimes get bored at work, this is a fact of life. One of the perks of my current occupation is that I get to be in AIM at work, so I tend to do a lot of away message checking.

It is this scenario that has forced me to lay down one ground rule when it comes to away messages: If it's after 12:00pm, your away message may no longer be "bedtime" "sleeping" "good night" or anything that implies that you have not woken up yet.

Because, to be blunt, you keeping up these away messages serves one purpose: to anger me. And not just me, but the entire working class that sees your away messages. (Note: I use working class to imply people that have to get up and go to their jobs, not as commentary on socio-economic classes.)

Now don't get me wrong, I am all for sleeping late, I do it every chance I can. But I can't most days and you should respect it. So when you decide you want to sleep until 3:00pm on a Tuesday, put up something else. A song lyric, a movie quote, the standard "I am away". Something that doesn't make me want to come over and kick you until you wake up.

Thank you for your consideration.

No comments: