Saturday, December 23, 2006

Killer Apps

It has recently occurred to me that the meaning of the phrase "killer apps" has fundamentally changed. Maybe it's because I've been reading too much On Language by William Saffire, but this idea just kinda popped into my head the other day, and I thought I would share it with you lovely people. I've thrown something together in Photoshop to illustrate my point. (Click on the picture to make it bigger, as always)
By now, I'm sure you know what I mean. You used to go to a cocktail party and comment on the killer apps that the host made. Or got catered. Regardless, it meant that the appetizers happened to be pretty good. Then along came Al Gore and his "The Internet". All of a sudden, computers are becoming more important than food, and people are playing World of Warcraft (if you don't know, click) for 12 hours straight. So now people go to computer parties, and await the release of the next "killer app" while eating what are potentially delicious hors d'oeuvres. This has been another educational lesson brought to you by A Clean, Well Lighted Place, makers of Frank's Homicidal Ointment. Thanks for reading, and we hope to see you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's a Connecticut thing, but I never said "Killer Apps" referring to Appetizers.
We always said "Killer Hors."

waiter_at_the_cafe said...

I think that's an entirely different post all together.