Sunday, March 02, 2008

Postcards and Jason: An Introduction

I was recently mailing a postcard to a friend abroad and I began thinking about the logistics of intenational mailing and whose responsibility it is to see that my postcard of the Washington Monument filled with my banal message reaches london.

Is their an official transfer of ownership to the English Postal service and the USPS washes their hands of the situation? Are expatriate USPS postman roaming the streets of london ensuring that Suzy knows that Joan "wishes she was here?"

I asked my friendly neighborhood postal clerk Linda, and she said that for international mailings they exchange the letters at a point equidistant between the two countries, in this case somewhere over the Atlantic but she was not sure of the precie meridian. It was either that or that it would be 92 cents to mail my letter.


-----------

As you may notice I am not the usual author. I am Jason. I enjoy science and books with built in fabric bookmarks

No comments: