Monday, March 24, 2008

I Just Wanted to Destory Something Beautiful

That must be the thought that constantly pervades Rupert Murdoch's stupid, megalomaniacal mind. (The title of the post, that is, in case you weren't following along.)

The New York Times, today, featured a piece about how the Wall Street Journal is changing, and "evolving" as one Murdoch flunkie so eloquently put it. Apparently the Journal is evolving into just another USA Today--but with slightly fewer graphs. The newspaper is trending towards much more political news, less business news, and shorter stories. And now they're going to heavily revamp...excuse me, evolve, the Marketplace section into lord knows what. I love the Marketplace section, it's full of random tidbits and 'soft' business news-fun stuff.

Murdoch is killing the Wall Street Journal. It's the Wall Street Journal, not the Main Street USA Journal or the Something Else That Gets Me Really Angry Journal. And what is Wall Street known for? Business. People read the Journal for its detailed business information, and if that's not what the Journal is doing, then they are moving far away from their core demographic.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the fact that the Journal's editorial pages are horribly slanted right (actually I hate it), but that's not why I read it. The Journal's investigative techniques are top-notch and there is just so much damn information in each piece, I love it.

And now all that is going to change? What's next, the Money & Investments section turns into the Comics section? I'm telling you, the more I think about it, the more this paper isn't worth my 70% off student home subscription rate. (www.wsjstudent.com if you're interested)

Read the whole article here: click the headline, pops into a new window
Published: March 24, 2008
The Wall Street Journal’s transition to more breaking news and shorter articles will include a makeover of its Marketplace section, editors and reporters there said.

1 comment:

with_love_and_squalor said...

my wsj journal subscribtion ends today and i have not renewed it. Murdoch is also forgetting that the WSJ does have a competitor, in my mind the superior and also more fashionable (who doesn't love that pink paper), Financial Times