Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Jens Lekman

Jens Lekman: my new favorite person. Jens (pronounced: Jens) is an indie Swedish musician, according to Wikipedia. God I love that shit. Anyway, I just downloaded his new album "Night Falls Over Kortedala", and I must say, I am a huge fan.

His music is not cool. Really, if I had to use a word to describe his sound, cool would certainly be at the bottom of the list. But Jens has something else, passion. And a certain campyness that may or may not just be part of Swedish pop. Either way, it's awesome. To me, it sounds like Jens is genuinely really happy with what he does, something I don't often see in American musicians. Maybe that's why I like him, because he's campy, and weird, and fun, and out there, and I don't particularly think he cares what other people think of him.

I've taken the liberty and identified some of the more bizarre instruments that I've heard in his songs. They include: a flute, an accordion, French horn (I think), the thing that simulates the "clip-clop" of a horse, a harp, a bunch of people snapping slightly out of sync, and a little girl saying something in Swedish. This is just one example of the carefree, have fun attitude that makes me keep coming back for more.

So if you've got a minute, give Jens a listen, you probably won't like him. But just remember, I do, and that is why you can never really trust the awesome* tag.

No comments: