Monday, December 06, 2010

On Exponential Art, the number 59, Vermillion,

One month ago to the day four days from now I started an artistic endeavor having stationary markers soak through a stack of paper. I stood a set of Copic markers inside drinking glasses and waited. The neatly arranged set lived under a travertine coffee table in the auxiliary living room of my apartment. No more than 6 times did I accidentally disturb the glasses while I was sitting at the table drinking a bottle of wine.

Last night I revealed the sheets.

59.

The ink soaked through 59, 80gsm sheets of paper in one month. I was enjoying a bottle of Bordeaux last night and revealing each sheet one at a time. It told a story that I did not expect. As you moved the pages there would be a pint where one color would just disappear. Other colors expanded out, seemingly annexing other space and absorbing weaker colors. From page 12 to page 13 a half inch band of ice blue disappeared out of existence. I don’t know where it.

Vermillion.

Vermillion soaked through 59 sheets. I don’t know what gives Vermillion such persistence. It was quite the unexpected character trait. I expected Special Black 100 or Royal Blue 29 to penetrate the most. Or perhaps an intense purple. Sheet 59 had a pin dot of color in the upper left quadrant of the paper. On Sheet 1, vermillion did not soak and expand to the entire glass, the pigment focused into a dollop the size of a quarter.

Tomorrow I am going to take pictures and document all of the pieces with a proper camera. I’m also going to setup some triptychs and collections for those who are interested. Potential collections to include Prime Numbers, Even Numbers, my favorite numbers, your favorite numbers.


No comments: